Monday, December 11, 2006

FASHION DOYEN

Fashion doyen




At first impression, Gillian Hung seems like a lady in a hurry — rushing to make her mark in the fashion industry in Malaysia and Asia. But first impressions are deceiving. Hung is just one of those people who seem to hum at a higher frequency than others. What to us seem like major accomplishments and success are to her just things she has done in the course of her career, but she’s done them spectacularly well.




Her career has blossomed from the time she joined Isetan, worked to become its lead designer, left and consulted with a Hong Kong textile manufacturer for a year to set up its new plant, create a design team and map its brand strategy, came back and set up not only her own label but also her own design school which has quickly become recognised as one of the best in the country. “It is my way of giving back to society,” she says. Actually, Hung wants to position Kuala Lumpur as a leading city for design and fashion and through this school, hopes to build a strong and talented pool of fashion or design directors, of which currently, there are only a handful. Think Tom Ford of Gucci and you get an idea of the type of creative genius she wants to help create for Malaysia. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Hung.




The Edge: In your long association in fashion, what have you come to understand about fashion as a social phenomenon and as a business?


Hung: The fashion industry is known to be one of the most complex, challenging industries, but with rewarding outcomes. The local and export markets for KL fashion have become one of the booming industries in Malaysia. By numbers, it is one of the top 10 leading revenue drivers for the country. In my 16 years working in this industry, I’ve come to see the intricate notion in fashion. I can say that understanding fashion does not come from reading. You have to experience it, have a feel for it. Just like this MOTORAZR V3. It takes you in and you feel it is part of your overall fashion match. Fashion to me is a fusion of art, history, current events, politics and technology. Fashion predicts lifestyle, reflects attitude and depicts society. It cannot stand by itself. Fashion constantly changes through time. Therefore, it is important for us to be socially capable.




How do Malaysians view fashion today versus in the 1990s and what are the reasons for the change?


If you look at fashion today compared to the 1990s, Malaysians have become more capable and knowledgeable. Even men have realised that looking good is not something women have exclusive control over. They know that it’s not only about looking good, it is also about how to carry oneself; the distinctive way of speaking and acting. We see such positive changes, thanks to TV, magazines and newspapers. The government and private sector are also working hand in hand to promote the fashion industry. It’s rather amazing that even phone design has evolved tremendously. Something like the RAZR V3 was unimaginable back then but Motorola has proved that it is keeping up with the changes in both fashion and consumer taste as well as preference.




What is your main motivation to set up your own label?


Winning the First Asean Young Designers contest in 1989 gave me the encouragement to have my own label. Besides that, I also envisioned myself in the fashion business, which led me to join Isetan of Japan/KL to take on a more challenging career. Thanks to my mathematics background, I am able to leverage on it in the business.



You have your own fashion and design school now. What do you hope to achieve?


Being an individual designer and as fashion design director of Isetan has enabled me to share my passion, knowledge and advice with the younger generation. With the birth of the Fashion Academy of Creative Technology (FACT), I hope to nurture new talent to be not only fashion designers but also excellent fashion merchandisers who are able to serve the industry. Let us not only promote creativity, but also versatility. The more versatile our workforce, the more successful the industry will become.




What mark do you hope to leave on the Malaysian fashion scene?


Ultimately, I’d like to be recognised as a person who has contributed my knowledge and experience to my peers. I also make it a point to provide advice to upcoming fashionistas who are interested to excel in this industry.




What does your phone mean to you in your professional and personal lives?


You will agree with me that technology has taken over the new generation. The handphone is as important as a computer today. Despite how much I deplore the thought of being contacted even during my personal time, the handphone has most definitely made my life easier and more efficient. I can get things done at a much faster pace in my professional career. Like I said earlier, the phone to me is NOT just another gadget. As a fashion consultant and designer, I view it as another accessory that should complement my overall image and fashion as I wear it at that particular time.



Which feature or features of the RAZR V3 do you like most and why?


You have to love the camera on the phone! The photos are very sharp and oh so clear! I’m loving it! Another thing that I’ve got to mention is the phone itself, very slick and slim — definitely fits into my lifestyle. I mentioned that it should complement my overall image and fashion as I wear it at that particular time.



What does design mean to you?


Design to me is a creative way of how you look at things. A channel of one’s expression. Some people may like it, others may not. It is very subjective BUT, I have to admit, with the RAZR V3, it blends well in all occasions or fashion, be it rugged, elegant, smart or even simple [with jeans and T-shirt]. That’s the uniqueness of RAZR V3 — it’s perfect for all fashion, anywhere, anytime. Kudos to Motorola for making it right!




Life without my Motorola RAZR V3…


is just inconvenient and incomplete — I must carry it with me wherever I go! Hey, it’s one thing that I wouldn’t mind flaunting! (laughs) -

-- end ---